Zenon Panoussis on 19 Apr 2001 07:05:37 -0000

[Nettime-nl] DDS developments

There is a new website out there: http://dds.provocation.net . All it
contains is your web pages. The index page says this:

   DDS has been a sinking ship for a long time, and the end seems to
   be getting closer. In a last effort to save it, the Vereniging
   Open Domein was founded and started negotiating with Joost Flint.
   Unfortunately, not much seems to come out of those - by now secret -
   negotiations, and time is running out.

   One thing is very clear though: Joost Flint and Chris Göbel smell
   money in the users that their BV got for free from the earlier DDS,
   so they are not going to let go easily. Thus, no meaningful
   negotiations can take place unless those users lose their commercial
   value. Luckily, the latter is a rather simple process, the beginning
   of which you are now looking at.

   As a first step, I have mirrored most of the 900+ currently public
   user home pages in the state they were in on April 16, 2001 (Flint
   says there are another 12.000 pages "somewhere", but if they're not
   public they're not at all. The same goes for Flint's claims about
   the total number of registered users). Anyway, if you are a DDS user
   and you are asked for money in order to keep your website, don't
   bother paying; your website is staying up anyway, for free. Within
   a few days you will also have FTP access to it so that you can
   keep updating it (or can delete it if you object to the mirror).

   Step two will be to offer all current DDS users new e-mail
   addresses on a final domain (provocation.net is just an interim
   solution). Since the DDS user database mysteriously escaped from
   its cage, this is just a matter of configuring a server and
   getting some more bandwidth. The progress will be announced here.

   Step three will take more time; it entails building a new front
   to the aforementioned and making a good-looking and well-functioning
   service out of it. The classical DDS design is probably Flint's
   copyright by now, so probably it can't be used. A new design takes
   time and so does the writing and testing of all the scripts that
   are needed for a smooth service.

   By the way, if you own stock in Scarlet, you might start thinking
   about selling it right now. Scarlet is buying DDS from Flint, which
   says a lot about Scarlet's risk assessment policies - or absence
   thereof. On the other hand, Scarlet stock could give you the kicks
   that Russian roulette can't give you any more. You might actually
   want to buy instead. Your choice, your fun.

   Ambitious plans, huh? Perhaps not. I operate alone, of my own
   initiative and with small means. I am not hampered by bureaucracy,
   weird agreements with Flint or bickering members, but can put my
   efforts into something productive. It might turn out that this is
   the best way to get something done. If not, nothing will have been
   lost except some of my time. In any case, wish me luck.

You should visit http://dds.provocation.net and follow the links there;
they are much more informative than this mail.

ExecSum:

Your website [whatever].dds.nl/~user can now be found as well at
http://dds.provocation.net/~user . This is a free service. You
don't need to do anything to maintain it. This website is
completely independent of your site at DDS.

If you would rather have your website removed from this mirror,
just mail oracle@xs4all.nl **from your @dds account** and ask me
to remove it. Before doing so I will ask you to reply to a mail,
just to make sure that nobody is asking me to delete somebody
else's website.

In the beginning of next week you will have FTP access to your
website and you will be able to modify it yourself.

You should not announce your new website publicly yet, nor start
indexing it with search engines. dds.provocation.net is only a
temporary home. The pages will be moved to a shorter (and less
glamorous :) .nl domain sometime next week. When that has been
done, you can, if you want, submit your site to search engines
and put redirects on your dds pages.

*

Also, as you probably have noticed, you have been subscribed to
a mailing list (listserver courtesy of Karin Spaink). Subscribers
to the list are for now the DDS users whose pages have been
mirrored, some people at opendomein and - obviously - Joost Flint.
Subscribing you to a mailing list without asking is very close to
bad netiquette, but sending out several hundreds of BCCs is not
any better. Somehow I need to inform you about this before you
read about it in the press. If you want off the list, just send
a mail to
   listserv@bagheera.xs4all.nl
with
   unsubscribe dds your@e-mail.address
in the body of the message. I.e. something like this:

===