monika fleischmann on 18 Sep 2001 12:16:22 -0000

[rohrpost] cast01 // Conference on Communication of Art, Science andTechnology

Mixed Reality: Networking art and technology

Conference on Communication of Art, Science and Technology

From 21 to 22 September 2001, the Fraunhofer Institute for Media Communications will be holding the cast01 // Living in Mixed Realities conference at Schloss Birlinghoven, Sankt Augustin. This international event will be presided over by the German Federal Minister for Education and Research, Edelgard Bulmahn, and is aimed at anyone who works at the interface of art, culture, new technologies and media science.

Some 250 attendees from the worlds of art, culture, science, education, business and politics are expected to attend. The program features presentations and discussions on the latest results from the field of research, state-of-the-art technologies and cutting-edge artistic projects that tackle the subject of Mixed Reality.
See detailed programme: http://netzspannung.org/cast01/program_en.html

There will be Internet broadcast of the cast01 conference using two different streaming technologies:
RealMedia streaming, SureStream (56Kbps-250Kbps) for all Internet users MPEG-1 multicast streaming (1.5 Mbps) for broadband Internet users (PC only), available only in networks which allow multicast packets transmission. More info with appropriate streaming links and information how to register can be found on the cast01 Website: http://netzspannung.org/cast01

The cast01 conference is overshadowed by the attacks in the United States which took place on September, 11. Our sympathies go to our many colleagues, friends, and family in the US. As a concrete sign of our concern, we would like to use the cast conference as a way to respond to the events which are now uppermost on many of our minds.

Issues addressed in the cast01 conference such as electronic surveillance, the control of space, and local and global communication take on a new meaning in the context of a large-scale, coordinated attack on civilians with no forewarning. In reaction to these terrible events we invited the speakers to consider, where appropriate, bringing this perspective into their presentations.

On Sunday, September 23, from 11 - 12.30 h we invite you to join the reflections on cast01 in the Auditorium of the Kunstmuseum Bonn. To get there see: http://www.bonn.de/kunstmuseum/informationen/anreiseindex_e.htm

The Sunday event will be open to the public. Please send email if you like to attend on Sunday: cast01@netzspannung.org

Looking forward to seeing you at cast01!

Monika Fleischmann & Wolfgang Strauss
cast01 Conference Chairs //

Claudia Valle and Felix Schmitz-Justen
cast01 Organisation