darko fritz on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:05:28 +0100

Syndicate: selection of time-based works

from
http://www.videonale.org/selectjury.htm

>the videonale 9 selection jury, consisting of georg elben, s?ren grammel, maria
Lind, silke otto-knapp and nicolaus schafhausen chose 31 productions by
altogether 36 artists (some working in teams) from over 1500 entries

>the selection jury took six full days for the viewing and discussion of the
tapes. an additional week? time was taken for making the final decisions.

my question is: how jury consists of 5 members can look 1500 + videos in 6
days?
[and 14 urls, if belived fwd-re nn mail @ syndicate; urls are not mentioned
at videonale public reports]
jury suppose to work together, is't it?

my point is that video and net art are time-based works ... fast-forwarding
or fragmented look of the video works or urls misses that point ...

first round:
6 days = 144 hours = 8640 minutes !!! with no sleep !!!
8640 minutes : 1500 entries = less than 6 minutes

theoretically !!! with no sleep !!! ... what about practically?

in contrary, second round 'additional week? time was taken for making the
final decisions' sounds ok for me ...

so, i put under question first round of selection.
can we belive that jury took a look at works and not at names?

darko fritz propaganda . http://members.ams.chello.nl/fritzd