integer on Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:52:31 +0200 (CEST)

Syndicate: interim admin arrangements

Chris Byrne <chris@cryptic.demon.co.uk>

>Dear list subscribers,
>
>Following the departure of Andreas and Inke from the Syndicate list, the
>present admin team will be understrength, so we may not have time to
>forward posts which are sent to the wrong address.
>
>The current admin technical infrastructure will need to be changed, and the
>list moved to a different server. We will be in contact with the two
>prospective admins off-list to discuss the necessary changes in the near
>future. In the meantime I ask you to bear with us.
>
>Those subscribers who wish to remove themselves, please send the relevant
>command to majordomo@eg-r.isp-eg.de. If you don't know how to do this, send
>a message to syndicate@v2.nl asking to be removed and we will attempt to do
>so as quickly as is feasible.
>
>I would like to thank Andreas and Inke for their hard work helping to
>establish Syndicate, and keeping it running on behalf of the list community
>despite a variety of pressures.

Exactly. It is an difficult occupation. It isn't very lovely for one's creativity.

the inward turning of the worker kontrasts with the outward turning of the dancer.

It is good being a vagabond. [or a subscriber of you like]

And NN shall be much more gentle now that those who view mailing list fora
as information processing centers exclusively have gone or shall be as desired.

I suspect that is the principal issue.

This is a canvas. It is not a PDA.  [do you wish 2 sow the seeds or simply navigate \ web browsers +?

If the art of storytelling has become rare, the
dissemination of information has had a decisive share in this state of
affairs.  Every morning brings us the news of the globe, and yet we are
poor in noteworthy stories.  This is because no event any longer comes
to us without already being shot through with explanation....it is half
the art of storytelling to keep a story free from explanation as one
reproduces it.  The most extraordinary things, marvelous things, are
related with the greatest accuracy, but the psychological connection of
the events is not forced on the reader.  It is left up to him to
interpret things the way he understands them, and thus the narrative
achieves an amplitude that information lacks.

This process of assimilation, which takes place in depth,
requires a state of relaxation which is becoming rarer and rarer.  If
sleep is the apogee of physical relaxation, boredom is the apogee of
mental relaxation.  Boredom is the dream bird that hatches the egg of
experience.  A rustling in the leaves drives him away.

....storytelling.....does not aim to convey the pure essence
of the thing, like information or a report.  It sinks the thing into the
life of the storyteller, in order to bring it out of him again.  Thus
traces of the storyteller cling to the story the way the handprints of
the potter cling to the clay vessel.

I believe I have told already that reading ....