Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:10:52 +0100

Syndicate: V2_East Newsletter 97/05

V2_East / Syndicate Newsletter 97/05

- Introduction
- Dates of upcoming events
- Updates

- General info about the Syndicate list
- Subscription

* Introduction *

Dear Syndicalists,

it seems that the Nettime meeting in Ljubljana last month was indeed a
secret Syndicate meeting as well, and I hope that we will hear more about
the event and the results of the discussions from those who were there.
Especially the discussion about Europe, about NGOs and about strategies is
obviously very interesting for the Syndicate.

One of the next opportunities for getting together will be the Deep Europe
workshop (28.7.-6.8.) during the documenta X in Kassel/Germany. Basically,
we want to use the occasion for discussing Syndicate-related issues, for
presenting work done by people associated with the network to the dX
public, and for producing some 'content' in the form of texts, interviews,
radio, video- and audiotapes, etc. The possibilities are endless. The list
of names attached to the description below are those people who have
confirmed their participation. I do hope that we'll have a big
Syndicate-potlach there in Kassel this summer with many of you joining or
at least dropping by. We can arrange official documenta invitations if you
need them to apply for travel, accommodation, etc. money. And if you
already know that you will be coming, drop me a line.

During the ars electronica in Linz/Austria in September, there will be
another get-together which Diana McCarty is coordinating, and then we are
just beginning to plan the next bigger Syndicate meeting for the
Ostranenie festival in Dessau in November. This last one will offer a
chance to present and continue some of the discussions which we have
started in Liverpool, Ljubljana, and elsewhere this year, so if you have
ideas for topics that should not be missed, or other suggestions, please,
get in touch.

The question about cross-postings from Nettime has been answered very
clearly with a Yes, at least from those people who responded to my
question. I particularly liked Lisa Haskel's comment which read:
"cross-posting is fine by me.  I think of it as a kind of process of
affinity."

OK, lines are open, post the info to the list directly or, if you are not
sure, to me. (Although I must say that there is so far nothing ever that I
have not forwarded to the list immediately.)

I hope to see you soon,

best wishes,

-a

* Dates of (some) upcoming events and exhibitions *
(check the archive at http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east for postings about these
events)

- 3 June - (?) 1997: E-Mail Art 4, Bratislava/SK
- 6 June - 6 July, 1997: ARTEC'97, 5th Internal Biennale in Nagoya/JP
- 21 June - 29 September 1997: Documenta X, Kassel/D
- 24 June - 29 June 1997: SeaFair97, Skopje/Mk
- 28 July - 6 August 1997: Deep Europe at dX, Kassel/D
- 8 - 10 August 1997: Hacking In Progress, HIP97, Almere/NL
- 8 -13 September 1997: Ars Electronica Festival, Linz/A
- 12 - 18 September 1997: World Wide Video Festival, Amsterdam/NL
- 15 September - 15 October 1997: Messages/REflections, Chisinau/Md
- 22 - 27 September 1997: ISEA 97, Chicago/USA
- 3 - 23 October 1997: Hi-Tech/Art '97, Brno/CZ
- 4 - 11 October 1997: 3rd Festival of Computer Arts, Maribor/SI
- 5 October - 2 November 1997: Screens, Trondheim/NO
- 7 - 19 October 1997: Interstanding 2, Tallinn/EE
- 10 - 12 October 1997: ROOTless  '97, Hull/UK
- 16 - 26 October 1997: VIPER 97, Lucerne/CH
- 18 October 1997: opening ZKM, Karlsruhe/D
- 21 October 1997: SeaFair: Interactive Narration/Int. CD ROM exhibition,
Skopje/MK
- 24 October 1997: opening Multimediale 5, Karlsruhe/D
- 5 - 9 November 1997: OSTranenie, Dessau/D
- 10 - 16 November 1997: Video and Electronic Art Festival, Riga/LV
- 4 -7 December 1997: Recycling the Future, Vienna/A
- 5 - 7 December 1997: VideoMedeja, Novi Sad/YU
- September 1998: Videonale 8 , Bonn/D
- September 1998: ISEA98, Liverpool&Manchester/UK

*SEAFair, June 24th - 29th, 1997; Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Exhibition Venue: Skopje Museum of Contemporary Art

SEAFair is the first manifestation of this kind on the Balkans,
bringing together International web artists, multimedia artists, media
critics and theorists, as well as the interested audience. SEAFair is
conceived to be a serial of international events, exhibitions/video
conferences, which will explore the creation and existing of new media
and electronic arts and venues. SEAFair will at the same time serve as
an international and intercultural meeting point of arts and
technologies.
SEAFair is organized by The Center for Computer Arts which acts within
the frameworks of the Soros Center for Contemporary Arts - Skopje,
Macedonia.

External Projects List:
- Worlds With-in  by Karel Dudesek, Van Gogh TV
- Metabolizer  by Petco Durmana
- X Project  by Heath Bunting
- The 12hr ISBN-JPEG Project  by Brad Brace
- Form  by Alexei Shulgin
- Face Setting  by Kathy Rae Huffman & Eva Wohlgemuth
- interno/inferno  by Igor Stromajer, Intima
- 0.html  by Igor Stromajer, Intima
- Kunst & Politik  by Robert Adrian
- The Alpha to Omega of Marketing  by Simon Poulter and Ros Huxley
- Variety Is ...  by Lissa Hutton
- Bionic Codes  by Ebon Fisher

Regional Projects List:
- Welcome Back to the Empire  by Melentie Pandilovski
- Laika - the True Story  by a group of Macedonian artists
- CefCA Project  by a group of Macedonian artists
- Seeing the Sound  by Bogdan Grabuloski and Violeta Blazeska
- Project  by Igor Isakovski

Please address all inquiries and communications to:
SEAFair '97
     mpandil@soros.org.mk
     scca@soros.org.mk
     Soros Center for Contemporary Arts - Skopje, Macedonia
     Ruzveltova 34, 91000 Skopje
     tel/fax: 389 91 36 18 55
http://scca_wart.soros.org.mk

Melentie Pandilovski adds:
Due to the occuring of unpredicted and very unfortunate
events such as the disconnection of our Internet provider,
MARNet (Macedonian Academic and Research Network) by PTT Austria, as
well as some other less obvious reasons, the program of SeaFair has
suffered some changes. In fact we have decided to change the dates
of Altering Visions on the Net, previously set at 21 May - 24 May.
Altering Visions on the Net will now happen 24 June - 29 June.
The CUSeeMe Conference "Troubled Interactivity" will also
happen in this time frame.

* Deep Europe @ Hybrid WorkSpace @ documenta X
A V2_East/Syndicate workshop in Kassel, Mon, 28.7. - Wed, 6.8.97

Take the title 'Deep Europe' with a pinch of salt. The V2_East/Syndicate is
a network network of people and institutions who are involved in media
culture and media art in Europe and who want to create contacts and an
infrastructure for projects and cooperations. The network started out as an
'East-West initiative' almost two years ago, but has since reached a stage
where those symbolically laden terms mean less and less. With its mailing
list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east> and regular meetings, the Syndicate
is becoming an important tool for fostering ties within the media art
community and a platform for discussing the changing role of media culture
in the 'new Europe'.

Kassel is both a former outpost of the pseudo-Western world and a hallmark
of a post-war modernism. Even eight years after the fall of the Berlin
wall, the cultural maps of Europe are shifting heavily. There are still
many things to see, learn and do, and conversations to be had, before we
will be able to make sense of the new distances between Berlin and Warsaw,
Paris and Moscow, Vienna and Belgrade, Kassel and Eisenach.

The new lines that run through Europe are historical, political, cultural,
artistic, technological, military. The role of the EU and its institutions,
the notion of Mitteleuropa, old and new ideologies, messianic NGOs and
late-capitalist profiteers contribute to a cultural environment in which we
have to define new strategies and new tools, whether as artists, activists,
writers or organisers.

'Deep Europe' will offer an opportunity to further develop ideas which have
emerged around the V2_East/Syndicate initiative over the last 18 months, to
discuss them among the Syndicalists and with the dX public. There will be
ample opportunity to represent in video, slide and WWW presentations what
we have in mind when we say 'European media art and culture', and to
concentrate on some of these issues in texts and audio-visual productions.

Among the participants will be:

Inke Arns, media art curator, author, Berlin/D
Tom Bass, author, Budapest/Hu
Andreas Broeckmann, project manager V2_East, Rotterdam/Berlin/Nl/D
Aleksandar Davic, video artist and curator, cyberNS, Novi Sad/Yu
Branka Davic Milic, media art curator, cyberNS, Novi Sad/Yu
Marta & Michiel van der Hagen Dubrzynska , computer workers, Warschau/Pl
Marjan Kokot, sociologist, author, editor, Ljubljana/Si
Eduard Muka, artist, curator, teacher, Art Academy, Tirana/Al
Rasa Smite & Raitis Smits, Internet- and radio artists, E-Lab, Riga/Lv

Other Syndicalists are certain, and very welcome, to join the team. If you
are interested in getting on-board, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>.

* MESSAGES FROM THE COUNTRYSIDE (REflections in RE)
The second annual exhibition sponsored by The Soros Center for Contemporary
Art in Chisinau, Moldova

September 15 - October 15, 1997.

c  o  n  c  e  p  t. The Romanian noun "tara/tzara" or "country(side)) has
an important function in everyday speech. For example: "Am fost la tara",
"Vin de la tara", "Ma voi duce la tara sa ma REfac/creiez" ("I am going to
the countryside," "I'm coming from the country," "I'm going to the country
to REfresh myself"). "Tara" also can refer to Tristan Tzara (Tara), the
Romanian-born poet and founder of dada. Our event will REference and REflect
upon this term and epoch. The historical context for this movement was marked
by many social disasters, the most horrid being World War I. Currently, we are
going through a period which is marked by similar social afflictions. By
linking this event to dadaism we do not want to propagate the nihilism
sometimes ascribed to it, but to propose is it as an example of creative
intensity. The point where these diverse lines of force, ideas, concepts and
messages meet will provide the focus for the exhibition. RE, a prefix used to
indicate REpetition, will give the proposed manifestations their character.
Our country is passing through a period when the one-time truths are
questioned and things are being REvised. Actions are made to REstructure the
economy, education, etc., to REturn to origins, RE...RE...RE...

m  e  d  i  a. Objects REinstated throughout the entire spectrum of everyday
life (e.g., parks, streets, factories, transportation, etc.); they will take
the form of painting, graphics, sculpture, multi-media (Internet / video /
audio), photography, theater, literature (poetry and prose). Also an (E-) Mail
art exhibition installed as an organic matrix of postcards sent to this Center
from around the world that contain a "message" from the sender's country. This
is an open call to anyone who would like t o participate. "Postcards" should
not exceed 11 X 15 cm. We ask that the images and/or texts extend from one
edge to the other (either vertically or horizontally). E-mailed messages
should be sent to <esanuscca@soros.md> encoded as UUENCODE, or posted to:
Soros Center for Contemporary Art, Strada Bulgara 32, Chisinau 2001, Moldova.
All submissions will be exhibited and people may send as many "postcards" as
they like. Please supply your name and address with all submissions.

s y m p os i u m. "REcycling the Mode(ls)" will take place October 1 - 4,
1997 to accompany the exhibition. Moderated by Anca Oroveanu, the movement of
various "modes" and "models ," East-to-West and West-to-East, used in
contemporary art will be examined by local and international scholars.
Attention will be focused on how the context effects the modes or models used.

Info: <esanuscca@soros.md>

*rootLeSS SHORTS, Hull/UK
10-11 October 1997

This year rootless Shorts wants to showcase the best and the worst of the
short film.
Taking the rootless theme in its broadest sense if your film challenges,
explores, disgusts, revels, reviles, defines, excites and enjoys in this
area then send IT.
Running alongside an International Live art event - "rootLeSS 97" - that
brings national and international artists to Hull for a HOT WEEKEND of live,
performance, installation, video and discussion of ART, rootLeSS SHORTS will
complement and be complemented by this large-scale art & media event...

dead line: 11th july 97

Send entrys to:-
Rootless Shorts
Dave Priestman
H.T.B.A. 8 Posterngate Hull HU1 2JN
Tel: 0 (44) 1482 216446
e.mail: dave p@htba.demon.co.uk

* OSTranenie 97
International electronic media forum, Bauhaus Dessau/D
5-9 November 1997

This year, for the first time, in addition to the "traditional"
presentation of video works, multi-media installations, performances and
discourse, we would like to present as many network based projects as
possible, especially those which focus on the cultural/political context of
(Eastern European) society in transition.

deadline: 30 June 1997

And please check out:
http://www.misa.uni-magdeburg.de/events/ostranenie97/ost_home.htm

Studio Electronic Media Interpretation
Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
Gropiusallee 38
D-06846  Dessau
Germany
tel.: 49.340/ 6508.313
fax: 49.340/ 6508.326
<emi@stiftung-bauhaus.de>
Stephen Kovats:  <100662.2476@compuserve.com>
Adele Eisenstein:  <adele@caesar.elte.hu>

* FRENCH-BALTIC-NORDIC VIDEO & ELECTRONIC ART FESTIVAL
10. - 16. November 1997. Riga, Latvia

The organizers of the French-Baltic-Nordic New Media Art festival is the
Multimedia Center of the Latvian Academy of Culture (MMC), French Embassy in
Latvia and The Information Bureau of Nordic States.

The competition is open to works in any video or computer animation
technique emphasizing the equality of image and sound in creating an
artistic unity.

Entries must be completed, signed and submitted before 1st July, 1997.

The International Jury will present one Grand Prix (independent from the
category prizes), CATEGORY PRIZES and qualifying prizes. Also there are
special prizes: Press Prize, The Audience's Prizes, etc.

WE HOPE THAT THIS FESTIVAL WILL BE THE PLACE WHERE AN ABUNDANCE OF ORIGINAL,
NEW AND PARTICULAR VIEWS WILL PLAY A MAJOR ROLE, WHERE ARTIST WITH DIFFERENT
THINKING AND FREE THOUGHTS WILL COME TOGETHER

Valdis Poikans
For furter information, contact:<valdis.mmc@parks.lv>

* RECYCLING THE FUTURE, Vienna/A
December 4 -7, 1997

Celebrating 10 years of Art Radio/Kunstradio on the Austrian Broadcasting
Corp. ORF.
Art theory and art practice in the era of permanent technical revolution
An event with lectures, performances, installations - on air, on line and
on site.

ORF KUNSTRADIO
Argentinierstr. 30a
A-1040 Wien
http://orfkunstradio.thing.at
kunstradio@thing.at
T: +43 1 50101-8277
F: +43 1 50101-8065

* Updates *

The Virtual Platform, an informal Dutch association of media institutes
(Backbone=De Balie, De Waag, Paradiso, Montevideo, Netherlands Design
Institute, STEIM, V2_Organisation, media-gn [was: SCAN], and the
Interfaculty Image and Sound), is organising a follow-up event to the
conference that the Council of Europe held in Prague last November.
*European Media Culture - from practice to policy -* will be a working
conference held in Rotterdam and Amsterdam in October '97 where projects
representing 'good practice' in European media culture will be discussed
and analysed. The 'big' aim is to come up with suggestions for national and
transnational government bodies about what the requirements of the 'real'
media community are (as opposed to those of the telecoms, the multinational
hardware and software developers, and the bureaucrats). Maybe more
importantly, the conference will give this community a chance to exchange
experiences and maybe build stronger ties for and against government, NGO
and PGO support.

* General Info *

V2_East is an initiative of V2_Organisation Rotterdam, which is aimed at
creating a network of people and institutions who are involved with or
interested in media art in Eastern Europe and which wants to create an
infrastructure that facilitates cooperations between partners in East and
West. With its 'Syndicate' mailing list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east>
and regular meetings, V2_East is becoming an important tool for fostering
ties within the media art community in Europe which makes it increasingly
obsolete to think in term of 'East' and 'West', and which will eventually
make the V2_East initiative itself redundant.

The V2_East/Syndicate is a no-budget network initiative rather than an
institution. <syndicate@AEC.at> is the address of a mailing list which is
dedicated to an exchange of information and ideas relating to the situation
and future development of electronic and media art in Eastern Europe. A
Syndicate-mail archive for messages that are coming in over the list (since
April 97) can be found at: http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/
The list members include more than 120 artists, curators, networkers,
writers, festival organisers, etc., from East as well as West European
countries and beyond, who, through the 'Syndicate', are trying to improve
the communication and cooperation between artists and organisations in East
and West. The list was first installed following the initial meeting of the
V2_East initiative at V2_Organisation in Rotterdam on January 21, 1996, at
the end of the second Next 5 Minutes conference. During the DEAF96 festival
in September, we held a V2_East Meeting in which around 30 people from 12
different countries participated. In April 97 the LEAF97 meeting in
Liverpool brought together more than 30 people from across Europe.

* Subscription *

To subscribe to the syndicate list, please, send a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
For more information about the Syndicate, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>
(Andreas Broeckmann).

*Please, send information that you feel should appear in the next edition
of this newsletter (deadline: 30 June 97) to: abroeck@v2.nl.

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012 XL Rotterdam * <www.v2.nl>
t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562 * <www.v2.nl/east>
second leg: Pfluegerstr.27*12045 Berlin*+30-6233293