Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:18:08 +0100

Syndicate: V2_East Newsletter 97/08

V2_East / Syndicate Newsletter 97/08

- Introduction
- Dates of upcoming events
- Updates

- General info about the Syndicate list
- Subscription

* Introduction *

Dear Syndicalists,

I am writing this from the Ars Electronica festival in Linz/Austria, where
we are participating with the Remote C project http://remote.aec.at, and
the Syndicate Net.Shop which brings together web artists from Bulgaria,
Macedonia, Albania, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Poland and Latvia for a workshop.
It's busy and distracting up here, but it's also great to see and meet so
many people.

The Syndicate network is still growing slowly and it may be worth
repeating, especially for those who have joined more recently, that this is
a network of people who share an interest in media culture and media art.
It grew out of an East-West cooperation initiative and is now a network
that connects more than 160 people from 28 European and 3 non-European
countries. We meet regularly in the context of festivals and conferences,
like recently at the Video Positive festival in Liverpool, the documenta X
in Kassel, or here at the ars electronica. I find it important that you see
this list not as an information service, but as your channel to these
people. You should try to come to these meetings where we make contact,
talk about projects and interests, and develop collaborations - and have a
lot of fun. It's situations like the Deep Europe workshop in Kassel, or
this meeting here in Linz, where more than 20 people spend a week together,
working, talking, eating, drinking, ..., that make the whole thing
worthwhile, as far as I am concerned.

Preparations for the next Syndicate meeting at the Ostranenie Forum in
Dessau/Germany from 5.-9. November are now well underway. We will be
hearing more about the programme in the next weeks. There is an opportunity
that we can print a Reader that will include a selection of texts that were
posted via the Syndicate list in the last 18 months. We have only just
begun the planning phase for that, but if any of you have suggestions for
what texts should be included, or want to help with the editing, please,
get in touch with me (abroeck@v2.nl), or with Inke Arns
soon, so if you know that you want one or more copies of this reader (which
will be in 'cheap and fast'-publishing and sold at cost price), please, let
us know. If you need help regarding your travel to Dessau, please, get in
touch with Marci Jost at <emi@stiftung-bauhaus.de> for information,
invitations, etc. She will be very happy to help with special invitations
to make it possible for people to apply for travel grants etc.

You may have noticed that messages sent to 'syndicate@aec.at' go directly
to the list and are not moderated or censored. The noise level has always
been relatively low, so we can keep the list open, which makes it possible
for all of us to send to the list what we think is important. I would once
again like to encourage everybody to send information that you feel is of
interest directly to the list.

Some people say that there are too many announcements and not enough
discussion about 'deep european' topics on the Syndicate list. This is
simply a matter of writing, responding, and starting such discussions.
There is no limitation of what we can do with this channel, and I think
that there are a lot of important issues that should be talked about.

Like for instance the restructuring that is happening within the Soros
Foundation. 'The network's structure is being revised at the moment.
Network funding is secured until the year 2000, after which each center
must find ways of supporting themselves, or at least look for matching
funds.' A lot of the activities that people from the Syndicate are involved
in are co-sponsored by the SCCAs, so that in two and a half years the
conditions of our work might change quite radically. It would, I believe,
be important to start a dialogue about what this will mean for us in
practical terms - maybe somebody who has the details of 'Uncle George's'
letter to the Soros network can post a little report about the state of
things?

Beside the contact through the list, we should discuss these and other
issues at the meeting in Dessau.

I hope to see you soon,

best wishes,

-a

* Dates of (some) upcoming events and exhibitions *
(check the archive at http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east for postings about these
events)

- 30 August - 1 October: near the beginning, Plasy/Cz
- 28 August - 9 October: Parallelen, Berlin/D
- 6 - 12 September: Just Watch, Zurich/CH
- 8 -13 September 1997: Ars Electronica Festival, Linz/A
- 12 - 18 September 1997: World Wide Video Festival, Amsterdam/NL
- 15 September - 15 October 1997: Messages/REflections, Chisinau/Md
- 22 - 27 September 1997: ISEA 97, Chicago/USA
- 26 September - 4 October 1997: l'immagine leggera, Palermo/IT
- 1 - 3 October 1997: Digitale, Cologne/D
- 3 - 23 October 1997: Hi-Tech/Art '97, Brno/CZ
- 4 - 11 October 1997: 3rd Festival of Computer Arts, Maribor/SI
- 5 October - 2 November 1997: Screens, Trondheim/NO
- 7 - 19 October 1997: Interstanding 2, Tallinn/EE
- 10 - 12 October 1997: ROOTless  '97, Hull/UK
- 16 - 26 October 1997: VIPER 97, Lucerne/CH
-17 - 24 October: CITY OF WOMEN, Ljubljana/Si
- 18 October 1997: opening ZKM, Karlsruhe/D
- 21 October 1997: SeaFair: Interactive Narration/Int. CD ROM exhibition,
Skopje/MK
- 24 October 1997: opening Multimediale 5, Karlsruhe/D
- Nov - December: Da-Da-Net, Moscow/Ru
- 3 - 9 November 1997: LADA 97, Rimini/It + San Marino/SM
- 5 - 9 November 1997: OSTranenie, Dessau/D
- 8 - 16 November 1997: Art & Communication, Valencia/ES
- 10 - 16 November 1997: Video and Electronic Art Festival, Riga/LV
- 4 -7 December 1997: Recycling the Future, Vienna/A
- 5 - 7 December 1997: VideoMedeja, Novi Sad/YU
- September 1998: Videonale 8 , Bonn/D
- September 1998: ISEA98, Liverpool&Manchester/UK
- November 1998: DEAF98, Rotterdam/NL

*PARALLELEN - KUNST AUS MAKEDONIEN
Parallels - Art From Macedonia

IFA Galerie Berlin
28. August - 9. October 1997.

The exhibition Parallelen has for an aim the presentation of four
Macedonian artist in the IFA Gallery in Berlin. These artists have
been selected among forty most relevant artists and their recent
importance in the general Macedonian art scene. The exhibition intends
to present four parallels as  metaphoric lines of the most interesting
and relevant streams in Macedonia among the younger mid generation. It
shows the interest for the artistic expression either representing the
most actual concepts (sharing) dealing with postmodernist issues such
as the questioning of the position of the artist in the society, the
inclusion of the space as a part of and the reason of the artistic
thought, and the different ways of exploring how the artistic acting
can provide approaches towards the specific treatment of the [very
widely understood] materials. Therefore, in the works of Tome
Adzievski there is a tendency towards the renewal of the manual skill
of the artistic shaping, but not in a 'classical' or 'traditional'
way. He is confronting, let us say, the casted brass sculpture to the
photographs of the ocean shore; or the hand-sculpted wooden hand
contra the photo 'portraits' of a free running horse in the meadow; or
a wooden-velvet head fronting the photographs of parts of a pine-tree.
He asks for a return to the nature and tactility of the artistic
creation as one of the most specific characteristics of the acting of
the artist.

a project by
Institut fŸr Auslandbeziehungen Berlin [IFA], Barbara Barsch, PhD
and
Soros Center for Contemporary Arts - Skopje, Macedonia, Nebojsa Vilic, PhD

Soros Center for Contemporary Arts - Skopje
Ruzveltova 34
91000 Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Tel/Fax: 389.91.133.541
e-mail:  scca@soros.org.mk
http://www.soros.org.mk

* n  e  a  r     t  h  e    b  e  g  i  n  n  i  n  g
international, interdisciplinary symposium-exhibition
- -
CENTER FOR METAMEDIA, Plasy Monastery, Czech Republic
- -

"The discovery of a stable center is the same thing
as creating the world. Its repetition."
Mircea Eliade

>From August 15, approximately 30 artists -- from various disciplines and
continents -- will begin to work at the Center for Metamedia, an artist
residency program and project center located on the grounds of a former
monastery in Plasy, west Bohemia.

The outcome of the participant's approach to the symposium's theme,
dialogue with the place, interaction with each other & will be presented to
the public from A U G U S T   3 0    t  o    O C T O B E R  1.

- n e a r   t h e   b e g i n n i n g
It is beginning to appear as though many aesthetic, ethical, and physical
structures, which have been considered invariable and objectively given,
are rather the formations of our perception and senses. We nonetheless
still continue to search for some kind of central germ, a firm framework, a
life line that gives the world its shape and meaning. Is there a common
center where we could all meet? The Near the Beginning project seeks to
explore a broad range of approaches to and interpretations of  this given
theme. In doing so, it could help to clarify the contemporary perception of
this problem.

Hermit Foundation / Center for Metamedia
Klaster
331 01  Plasy
Czech Republic
tel./fax 00 420 182 - 2909
e-mail hermit@pvtnet.cz
(http://www - in construction, stay tuned . . .)

* 3. International Festival of Contemporary Arts - CITY OF WOMEN
Ljubljana/Si 17 till 24 October 1997.

The preliminary programme of our festival is available at:
http://www.sigov.si/uzp/city/97/
The final programme will be available on October 1.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Ursula Cetinski                    Koen Van Daele
artistic director                  programme coordinator

     CITY OF WOMEN
     TOMSICEVA 4
     1000 LJUBLJANA - SLOVENIA
     Phone: +386+61/215.748
     Fax:   +386+61/125.60.57
     Email: mestozensk@uzp.sigov.mail.si
            koen.vandaele@uzp.sigov.mail.si
     HomePage: http://www.sigov.si/uzp/city/

* Network Art Festival "Da-da-net", Moscow, Nov.-Dec. 1997

This year Soros Center for Contemporary Art (Moscow) opened its site
(www.sccamoscow.ru), where the Center has placed its database on Russian
contemporary art. Starting from September, 1, 1997 Soros Center for
Contemporary Art will open one more address in Internet (www.da-da-net.ru),
this will help to organize the Festival of Russian Art Resources.

The Festival "Da-da-net" will take place in November-December 1997. The aim
of this competition is to reveal creative possibilities of Russian users.
We also would like to invite the users from the Community of Independant
States-former Soviet Republics - as subjects of the cultural space, which
had been indivisible not so long ago.

This project is a logical continuation of Moscow New Media Art Laboratory,
which was organised by Soros Center for Contemporary Art (Moscow) in 1994,
in the frame of which were held "NewMediaLogia" symposium and
"NewMediaTopia" exhibition.

To get more detailed information about this project, please contact
festival's supervisors Ms Olga Shishko (newart@aha.ru) and Ms Tatiana
Mogilevskaya (tanusha@aha.ru).

* OSTranenie 97
International electronic media forum, Bauhaus Dessau/D
5-9 November 1997

This year, for the first time, in addition to the "traditional"
presentation of video works, multi-media installations, performances and
discourse, we would like to present as many network based projects as
possible, especially those which focus on the cultural/political context of
(Eastern European) society in transition.

Members of the V2_East/Syndicate will be meeting during the Ostranenie 97
forum in Dessau.

Please check out:
http://www.misa.uni-magdeburg.de/events/ostranenie97/ost_home.htm

Studio Electronic Media Interpretation
Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
Gropiusallee 38
D-06846  Dessau
Germany
tel.: 49.340/ 6508.313
fax: 49.340/ 6508.326
<emi@stiftung-bauhaus.de>
Stephen Kovats:  <100662.2476@compuserve.com>
Adele Eisenstein:  <adele@caesar.elte.hu>

* Festival VideoMedeja, Novi Sad, Yugoslavia, Dec 1997

The second Video Festival "VideoMedeja", dedicated to presenting works done
by women, will be held from 5th to 7th December 1997 in Novi Sad,
Yugoslavia. The tematical span of this issue is representation of personal
female erotologies artistically directed towards dialogue with their own
possibilities in the argument with the opposite sex as well as possibilities
of artistic engagement today and investigations of functions and scope of
the art margins.

Festival "VideoMedeja"
Asocijacija "Apostrof"
Jevrejska 4/I
21000 Novi Sad, Yugoslavia

tel/fax: +381 21 621 308
E-mail: videomed@fodns.opennet.org

* Updates *

* The P2P - Conference in Amsterdam and Rotterdam at the end of October
about which I sent out some information the other day will be an important
platform for lobbying the policy makers of different national and
international funding bodies. Part of the preparations for this conference
was formulated in the 'Suggestions towards a European Media Policy' that
were developed during the Deep Europe workshop. Please, watch out for
updates and further information about this important event. There will be
various ways to intervene and participate even for those people who cannot
come or are not invited for the actual seminar and symposium. Stay tuned!

* General Info *

V2_East is an initiative of V2_Organisation Rotterdam, which is aimed at
creating a network of people and institutions who are involved with or
interested in media art in Eastern Europe and which wants to create an
infrastructure that facilitates cooperations between partners in East and
West. With its 'Syndicate' mailing list, website <http://www.v2.nl/east>
and regular meetings, V2_East is becoming an important tool for fostering
ties within the media art community in Europe which makes it increasingly
obsolete to think in term of 'East' and 'West', and which will eventually
make the V2_East initiative itself redundant.

The V2_East/Syndicate is a no-budget network initiative rather than an
institution. <syndicate@AEC.at> is the address of a mailing list which is
dedicated to an exchange of information and ideas relating to the situation
and future development of electronic and media art in Eastern Europe. A
Syndicate-mail archive for messages that are coming in over the list (since
April 97) can be found at: http://www.v2.nl/mail/v2east/
The list members include more than 160 artists, curators, networkers,
writers, festival organisers, etc., from East as well as West European
countries and beyond, who, through the 'Syndicate', are trying to improve
the communication and cooperation between artists and organisations in East
and West. The list was first installed following the initial meeting of the
V2_East initiative at V2_Organisation in Rotterdam on January 21, 1996, at
the end of the second Next 5 Minutes conference. During the DEAF96 festival
in September, we held a V2_East Meeting in which around 30 people from 12
different countries participated. In April 97 the LEAF97 meeting in
Liverpool brought together more than 30 people from across Europe.

* Subscription *

To subscribe to the syndicate list, please, send a message to
<syndicate-request@aec.at> with the following text in the body of the
message: 'subscribe [email-address]'
For more information about the Syndicate, please, contact <abroeck@v2.nl>
(Andreas Broeckmann).

*Please, send information that you feel should appear in the next edition
of this newsletter (deadline: 30 August 97) to: abroeck@v2.nl.

V2_Organisatie * Andreas Broeckmann * abroeck@v2.nl
Eendrachtsstr.10 * NL-3012 XL Rotterdam * <www.v2.nl>
t.+31.10.4046427 * fx.4128562 * <www.v2.nl/east>
second leg: Pfluegerstr.27*12045 Berlin*+30-6233293