norman on Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:51:47 +0100

Syndicate: using good IDEA

Dear Syndicate

just following up on Arthur Bueno's and Annick Bureaud's mail - I think
it's great if there can be a bit more cross-fertilisation in this way, and
indeed, if the IDEA ground-breaking sheer gut slog can be exploited via
Syndicate that's also excellent because as Annick says, but I'll restate it
with MUCH EMPHASIS, it's been a solo, very dedicated mission on her part
for donkey's years. We all know how backward net practice has been in
France, and Annick was already plugged into email here in the days when you
could only get at it via the French minitel service, painfully typing on
the totally inadapted keyboard of a France Telecom regulatory telephone
with absolutely colossal phone bills at the end of the month...
Particularly tricky when you're not getting any compensation for this
labour of love in the first place. Annick wouldn't say this coz she's
usually too busy trying to get on with the damn job against all odds (which
in this country add up to quite a few - the famous LEAF joke again, about
France being further south-east than Bulgaria in terms of net and certain
types of cultural practice...), but I will coz I know how much we all owe
her... she's a friend but certainly not the kind to prompt this sort of
support and is probably turning bright crimson right now when she reads
this...

Kia Ora

Sally Jane Norman
48, rue de l'Ourcq