Zeljko Blace on Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:43:37 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Notes on the Politics of Software Culture

This is great openning for discussion for both N5M and AE
participants who deal with this topic as thay share some
commonalities but tend to take further more political (N5M) or economical
(AE) argumentation.

Additionaly it would be interesting to reflect on the impact of new media
Art/Cultural practices on software industry, media and software
communities (like gloabal free software community or more introvert
ones like demo scene).
Personally I got interested in idea after seeing Linux Journal #107
cover (first art installation on the cover) and than reading inside a
review of FrequencyClock of r a d i o q u a l i a.

Frequency of media/tech art projects getting to the ICT news portals like
Slashdot is still very low (Free Radio Linux, Feral Robotic Dogs,
Blinkenlights, Illegal Art project... any others recently?).
In the same time while Runme.org lists more than 150 projects
(http://runme.org/news/read/+10/) Freshmeat lists 82 projects in Art
category (with 2/3 of it being CSound frontends, midi and fractall
applets http://freshmeat.net/browse/901/?topic_id=901).

Media art festivals/galleries tend to go easy way buy looking for (or
commisioning) work in known outposts like established media-labs (MIT and
V2_lab being the popular choices for AE), art mailing lists and
websites...avoiding to dig deeper into the messy and fuzzy work of geeks
and nerds who lack sence of selfpromotion.

Few projects like CCC´s "Blinkenlights" manage to get the idea of creative
use of IT across, but still somehow miss on being a subject of new media
theorists/critics.

How can this situation be changed or inverted? Can computer/media art
community stop being self-referential and emerge itself in the already
established IT community/media platforms, rather than being ecstatic
(with years of delay) with phenomenas like open source, p2p, wirelles?

CU @ { AE | N5M }