Brian Holmes on Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:50:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> experimental politics of the state

Ryan Griffis quoted a New Hampshire woman on the libertarian Free
State project:

>I don't like to go places that don't let me have my gun," said Ms.
>Casey, 33 ..."I want to be a billionaire in my lifetime " she added,
>"and I don't want to live among people who think that's bad."

In a strange way this does pertain to what I said in the text on the
Tate. NSK created their State in Time while the redrawing of national
borders provided the excuse for practically every gun in the former
Yugoslavia to be fired, at every other one. Today in the Western
nations it's legitimate to work up huge armies to invade countries
which have lots of oil, despite what the majority thinks is right.
The Tate Modern, which in principle is supposed to be about art and
reflexivity, is funded by the same corporations that push the nations
to use their armies. In the United States, the voting machines are
private property and there are people for whom society doesn't exist.
The times are really wierd. At the end of the day in London, after a
pretty searching seminar, two artists named Cornfeld & Cross came up
to tell the story of how they spent loads of public-and-private money
(handing out fifty quid notes in the end as bribes for the
homestretch) to convince a businessman who owned a whole hangar of
airplanes to use a red RAF jet fighter to draw an anarchist symbol in
the sky with smoke. They kept saying they were on the left and how
they felt slightly guilty about this project and how beautiful and
seductive the plane was and how wierd that everybody on the ground
crew looked the other way and one guy spent two hours adjusting two
bolts. The film doesn't show the circle A, it shows you a view from
the camera mounted under the wing (the left wing) and they think the
film shows how beautiful and liberating and peaceful it is to fly.
Art could easily become useless, irrelevant, when the planes fly.
Wherever you live, the state could easily be taken over by, well,
basically, fascists. I think one thing to do is to try and imagine
something different and put the imaginary into tension with the real.
Because the tension itself, the fact that you go on talking with
people you totally disagree with, that you bring out the issues
rather than the gun, is a way to work in this moment. Different,
totally different than the libertarian experiment. It's a matter of
building an idea and a feeling of society, creating a state of desire
and exopectation, a project, a will to change. But that's just my
idea.

best, Brian