Soenke Zehle on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:58:13 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Stengers, What Science, What Europe?

Having poured over the umpteenth attempt to give some meaning to the
now-official 'crisis' of the EU, this one looked all the more
refreshing, as the reiteration of Stenger's call for a democratization
of the production of scientific authority reminded me of the many
terrains 'beyond politics' where Europe takes (its) shape, sz

Europe's foremost philosopher of science offers a devastating indictment
of contemporary European science

Isabelle Stengers
<http://www.i-sis.org.uk/WSWE.php>

As a philosopher, I can imagine no better keynote to strike than: what
are you doing, what are you trying to do? Organizing a discussion on the
European Research policy matters! It matters because it is both urgently
needed and difficult.

How to read the seventh framework programme? The first point to note is
that this programme does not really invite political debate. Indeed we
do not dealing with choices that could be discussed but with what
presents itself as the simple enactment of the "Lisbon agenda", fully
endorsing its slogans, such as "knowledge society", "economy of
knowledge", "knowledge and its exploitation" as "the key for economic
growth" and "the competitiveness of enterprises." All this, leading, as
we should trust, to employment, while maintaining and strengthening the
so-called "European Model", and also providing an improvement of welfare
and well-being, quality of life, health and the environment; for such
improvements rely, as history has shown, on the progress of knowledge
and its many applications.

In other words, what we are dealing with is an assemblage of what, in
French, we call "mots d'ordre". Mots d'ordre are not made to induce
thinking and debating but to produce agreement on consensual perception,
putting on the defensive those who feel constrained to a "yes, but…" Yes
to employment, yes to the European model, yes to all those improvements,
and certainly yes to the progress of knowledge. But… The "but" is coming
too late, after so many agreements, and it will be easy to fall into the
trap, instead of addressing the means while ratifying the perceived
consensual goals. It is the very functioning and aim of mots d'ordre to
capture and inhibit the capacity to think, that is also the capacity to
recall or keep in mind that there exists a world that demands thinking,
that will not submit to wishful thinking.

What this conference is trying to do is thus as difficult as it is
necessary both to resist the trap and to expose it as what it is.
Otherwise, the danger is that the opposition against something everybody
should agree upon will appear as sheer ideology. But whatever the
difficulty, I would insist that this should be done. Indeed, the
political point is not only what European money should support, which
kind of scientific research it should privilege. It is also what kind of
role is assigned to scientists and scientific research for problems that
are first of all society problems, such as welfare and well-being,
quality of life, health and the environment. And it is certainly what
kind of scientists we need in order for this role, whatever it may be,
and not to be diverted.

To give just an example, animal welfare has now entered European
politics. This is not a result of the progress of scientific knowledge.
On the contrary, many scientists have seen this concern as a
manifestation of the irrational sensitivity of public opinion, and they
demanded objective demonstration that animals such as cows, pigs or hens
are able to suffer. But as soon as there is money, even sceptical
scientists become interested. One of the propositions stemming from the
researchers of the French INRA (Institut National de la Recherche
Agronomique) was indeed an achievement. If farm animals indeed do
suffer, it is because they are stressed by the kind of quality of life
imposed on them. Thus we should obtain less stressed animals, that is
select them in order to produce animals who would accept without stress
the kind of life imposed on them. Selection, as usual, is the answer, an
answer the great rational advantage of which is that it will not
endanger the competitiveness of meat or milk production while answering
the public concern.

Animals should thus be modified in such a way that they biologically
fulfil not only the production criteria but also the competitiveness
criteria that define as loss any money devoted to their well-being. They
should only be defined as meat or milk production devices.

Such an answer to public concern does not identify science as
intrinsically blind, calculating, and reductionist; because such an
identification would exclude as scientists those ethologists concerned
over the animal's capacity to feel and suffer. It does reveal, however,
that those INRA researchers using European money made available because
of public pressure, were quite indifferent to the reasons why so many
people had spent their time protesting and fighting against what they
considered as a shame upon humanity. The way those researchers provided
the answer would probably have cost them their very reputation if the
public had their right to evaluate how the scientists met their concern.
The researchers would have been found guilty on two counts: that they
both felt free to propose such a research project to alleviate animal
suffering, and also that they had nothing but contempt for the reason
the question was posed.

What is striking in the FP7 is the very clear signal sent to researchers
that whatever the babble around sustainable development or public
participation, they do not need to listen and think too much. They may
go on living with the fairy dreams that if what they propose may be of
interest for the industry and its obsession with competitiveness, they
are still addressing the challenges of the future in the best rational
way. They may trust that they will be protected against the so-called
irrationality of those who, as it has already been the case with the
GMOs (genetically modified organisms), refuse to accept and say "yes" to
the laws of the free market as the only road to progress. They may even
feel that if scientists leave Europe because some public pressure
complicate their collaboration with their industrial partners, that
would slow down or put into question that which should really be
motivating innovation and the transition to a knowledge economy.

Some sociologists tell us that the mode of production of science has
been transformed from what they call an academically centred mode 1 that
values scientific autonomy and peer evaluation, to a flexible mode 2
that deals with uncertainty, tying multiple transdisciplinary and
participatory links, contributing to economical and social questions and
adopting new norms of adaptability, accountability, openness and
responsibility.

Today such a mode 2 production is but an apolitical dream-image, and a
very tranquillizing and useful one. It is an image much beloved by
European authorities, just like the "knowledge society", because it
allows them to have the cake and eat it too. They are free to produce a
list of problems that "flexible" scientists should be able to contribute
to and avoid asking hard questions about the relevance and reliability
of their answer, about how to enforce the so-called norms defining an
accountable, open and responsible scientist; as that is said to be part
of the contemporary mode 2 production of science.

It is very striking from this point of view that intellectual property
rights are not mentioned once in the European document, nor is the
matter of conflicts of interests or the freedom of scientists under
private contract to play the role of whistleblower. There is no mention
either of the need for the training of researchers to include relevant
means of inducing and empowering sensitivity or a sense of
responsibility in the face of public concern. Indeed the whole message
is framed to reinforce the view that today, more than ever, lay persons
must be kept at distance, must be kept in a position of trust and belief
that this new science is the answer to their problems, that mobilisation
in the economic war for competitiveness is the key to everything else.
The public is asked to say "yes" to a Brave New World where all European
stakeholders, as they are mobilised in this war, will contribute to the
improvement of welfare and well-being, quality of life, health and the
environment.

I am not sure at all that the kind of flexible scientists required by
the new economy of knowledge will be able to fulfil their assigned role.
I am personally impressed by the sadness and resignation of a great
number of researchers I meet. When I tell them of what interests me in
scientific practices, that are indeed specialized, but may be living,
challenging and intense, they tell me it is a thing of the past.

Despairing scientists feel that what is coming under the charming
features of the mode 2 production of science is a new mode of
mobilization, that is a new mode of direct appropriation and evaluation
of knowledge. They rightly feel that the so-called economy of knowledge
asks for a new type of scientist who will accept being flexible, in the
same way that workers today are asked to be flexible. They understand
that they are told that scientific knowledge has become a much too
serious business for scientists to keep what appears as outdated
privileges; that they are told they must accept the common fate, that
competitiveness is the general rule, even if it means relaxing the rules
of sharing and collectively verifying knowledge in the scientific
community when those rules impede the competition for and accumulation
of intellectual property rights.

I think, however, that the great political challenge is to avoid any
nostalgia for the famous mode 1 production, the Golden Age so many
researchers are regretting. Indeed the so-called mode 1 was forged
around 1870, a time characterized by intense relations with industrial
production and coincided with the promotion of a new type of scientist,
the specialized professionals, thinking away everything that does not
contribute to the progress of their discipline and identifying the
progress of their discipline with the only key to human and social
progress. This is the "golden-eggs-hen-which-should-not-be killed"
model: society should feed research and respect its autonomy in exchange
for the fruitful applications that only a disinterested quest for
knowledge will produce. This model was an apolitical model, since the
golden eggs of science, as incubated by industry, were defined as
serving humanity progress and well-being, transcending political
conflicts. But those kinds of eggs are probably not what we need today
in relation to what is now called sustainable development. What is such
a development is still an unknown. What we know, however, is that, if it
is not to remain sheer wishful thinking, and if science is to be able to
contribute at all to what it demands, we need thinking scientists, not
believers in the direct link between progress of knowledge and progress
of humanity. Development, as linked to the mode 1 golden eggs, is
unsustainable development.

We should thus be able to listen and amplify scientists' complaints but
succeed in disentangling them from nostalgia, with the aim of inducing
the scientist's appetite and imagination for what is so very interesting
in the present. In order to do so, I would propose to take seriously the
idea of a knowledge society, but turn into examples of such a society
the story of the GMO protest, the growing unrest and opposition of NGOs
against intellectual property rights, the questioning of pesticides and
the beginning concerns about nanotechnologies.

In all those cases, protests gain some general public approbation,
however vague, as if, at last, good questions were produced. But what is
politically relevant is the effective learning process that enables
concerned people to penetrate questions they were not meant to approach.
And what is remarkable is a very slow, very timid recognition by some
scientists, that maybe the questions those outsiders have learned to ask
are not so irrational, after all.

It seems to me that politics means constructing a position the first
quality of which is not some adequacy to matter of facts, but the
production of the sense of possibility and the appetite required to
transform matters of fact. It may be interesting not to denounce the mot
d'ordre, order-word, that Europe has to become a knowledge society, but
to affirm as obvious that the true measure of this becoming is the
ability of all the concerned people to produce and assemble knowledge as
it is relevant for the issue which concerns them. And to affirm as
obvious as well that this dynamics, which is the very challenge of
democracy, is also the chance for scientists to escape flexible
enslavement, and enter into new relations with people who learn to
become as interested as they are themselves, in the reliability and
relevance of their contributions. Such affirmations are a very small
half of the truth indeed, but what matters is that it is the
interesting, appetizing half, and that arising new appetites is the only
way I can think of to escape the trap of mots d'ordre.

This article is an edited version of her keynote speech to the
conference, What Science - What Europe, organized by the Greens in the
European Parliament, 2 -3 May 2005, in order to
launch a debate on FP7. Prof. Stengers is a signatory to the ISP
Statement to the European Commission on FP7. Add your name here
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/ISPF7.php