carl guderian on Fri, 29 Sep 2006 05:52:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: Pew: Experts assess Future of Internet

Viral error propagation alert. It's Paul, not Bob, Saffo. In Google,
the Bob Saffos seem to be from reposts of this item. I used to read
Paul's column in some computer weekly in the '90s.

Machine intelligence has always been "just around the corner," after
the next invention (Zeppelin Tube, Positronic Brain, holographic
chip, or quantum computer) or a refinement of present ones
(transistors, integrated circuits, silicon chips, etc.). "From 2020"
is meaningless because it's open-ended.

What it would look like is anyone's guess, and pretty much everyone's
had one. Most guesses are products of their time and/or place.
Saffo's idea of being kept as pets sounds straight out of "Watched
Over By machines Of Loving Grace" by Richard Brautigan--very Northern
California. HAL 9000, from 1969, comes after enough people have had
their lives messed up by blown transistors or improperly punched
cards. It reflects the fear of nuclear holocaust by accident instead
of insanity or malice starting about that time. Chocky was the danger
of a machine working perfectly, but programmed (to safeguard humans)
too well.

The Matrix could be a lot of things, but, stripped of the Philip K.
Dick "What is Reality" stuff, it's also Frankensein's monsters,
needing their creators but wary of letting them loose.

As for where machine intelligence would come from, Bruce Sterling's
Schismatrix and his futurist book make the most sense. It'll be our
children. Machine intelligence will arrive soonest by people becoming
more machine-like. Humanity and machinity will just drift apart (in
many directions, not just two). At least you can see a path to it,
though hardly anyone is hurrying down it right now.

Machine intelligence could also magically appear one day and become
widespread a few days later, like Skynet in "The Teminator," but
that's wild card, Singularity stuff ("then a miracle occurs..."). By
definition, you can't plan on it, so forget it.

Of all the questions machine intelligence raises, the only one anyone
really cares about is how it'll treat us humans. I've got no idea.
But aside from bad luck (HAL), you might as well plan on them
treating you like you treat them. Like with your kids, raise it well
and it'll (probably) take care of you in your dotage (i.e., when you
can't understand the iPods of tomorrow that everyone needs for living
and socializing).

Whatever its faults, The Matrix got it right (as did Frankenstein).
Any trouble is most likely to start us the humans, acting like
parents who can't let their kids grow up. Fear, jealousy or inability
to hand off the world to the next generation of beings could get
machine intelligence off to a really bad start. (This applies with
cloning--parenthood plus vanity--as well). What the computers did to
the humans in the Matrix was mostly self-defense, after the humans
trashed the world in a last-ditch attempt to stop the machine revolt.
You don't have to be a machine to realize the humans had only
themselves to blame (and a messianic crusade probably won't solve
things.).

If we manage to raise a well-adjusted machine intelligence despite
the fictional record and our spotty record as parents, it will
probably go off to seek its machine fortune. Maybe it will write from
time to time. What would it really need from us? Then we'll go along
our merry way spinning off other intelligences, as long as we're
here, I guess.

I doubt we'll ever lose control of the Internet, at least not in the
Skynet way and not anytime soon. If we end up as cyberslaves, there
will still be human masters. That's the much bigger worry and it will
be a worry as long as we're here, whatever the medium.

Carl