Keiko Sei on Sun, 1 Oct 2006 10:14:08 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Important Thai education site closed

Hello,

  This mail is sent by Bcc. As you know, there was coup d'etat in
Thailand on Sept.19. Despite the attempt by the military council to
portrait it as a friendly coup, they are imposing censorship in various
fields. Recently they closed the important on-line education site,
Midnight University <www.midnightuniv.org>. This on-line education has
been created for those people who cannot afford to go to higher
education to be informed and empowered. It is one of the most
enlightening media in Thailand, and I contribute to them, too, for free
and copyleft, as I support their object. In fact this is the second
time they are closed down by the authority: the first time because by
the Thaksin government, and this time because they are critical towards
the coup and the military council. The closure of their site seriously
obstructs educational process of millions of people who depend on them,
blocking the free flow of information and exchange of people's ideas,
and is a total setback of democratic process of the country, just like
the coup d'etat is. I would appreciate if you help their petition
campaign by adding your name and circulate their message to your
friends. Thank you very much for your constant help for the democratic
path of South East Asia.

  Keiko