Chris Leslie on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 04:24:37 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> No JSTOR downloads or bicycle-helmet-masks for you

I'd like to add to this that you not only have to be in school (or at a public library), but also that your city or your school has to be paying its bills. When an institution had paper copies, it retained them indefinitely, but once it forgoes paper and turns to the portal, it has to please the portal in order to have continuing access. Once the relationship is over, it seems to me that the institution is in a bad position since it no longer gets access to the journals it subscribed to digitally.