Cate Gable on Thu, 11 May 2000 23:23:42 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] PLanetwork Webcast

For Release May 11, 2000

PLANETWORK Announces Partners for "QuickTime Video Streaming" at Weekend
Conference on Information Technology and Global Ecology

San Francisco—The PLANETWORK team announced today four partners who will assist
in producing the live ‘webcast’ version of the PLANETWORK conference this
weekend at the Presidio's Golden Gate Club, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Bitmovers Networks, Sorenson Media, Terran Interactive, and Apple Computer are
collaborating to provide equipment, software, and technical expertise to assist
in compression and broadcast of QuickTime video and audio from the conference
floor.

PLANETWORK webcast director and technical advisor, James Kalin, who will also be
conducting a workshop on web audio/video streaming and compression, puts it this
way, "We've brought together companies and a team of experts to show off some of
the best capabilities of audio and video on the web. We will be showing
conference attendees precisely how to do what we're doing so they can do it
themselves. The idea of PLANETWORK is to build community and begin dialogues
about how we can use digital technology to support environmental work.  Our
video and audio efforts will illustrate a few of the many ways to do that."

‘Webcasting,’ as it is called, is a means of broadcasting, or ‘streaming,’ video
and audio over the Internet. People who are not able to be physically present in
San Francisco this weekend but who have Internet access will be able to sign on
to http://www.planetworkers.net, log-on with an email address, and view portions
of the conference in live audio and video format. Viewing the conference at this
site is free.

One of the Quicktime video streams will be from a camera on a Mac laptop,
connected to the Internet via Apple's wireless Airport technology. This roving-
cam will capture live video of what is happening on the conference floor
including interviews with conference staff and attendees. Another of the streams
will feature an interview room covering live on-air discussions with speakers
and various media representatives from radio, television, newspaper, and online
media, some from as far away as France. The third stream will feature a live mix
of video from cameras in the four speaker and panel presentation rooms.

QuickTime streaming video and audio live feeds will be created using Sorenson
Broadcaster software from Sorenson Media, running on one laptop Mac G3 and two
desktop Mac G4s.  The three streams of QuickTime video originating at the San
Francisco conference site will be sent to Bitmovers in Canada, who will
replicate the streams as many times as needed in order to send them to multiple
web viewers simultaneously.  Portions of the streams will be captured and
compressed locally at the conference, using Terran's Media Cleaner Pro software.

PLANETWORK is still accepting registrations for the conference. For a complete
listing of speakers and forums, or to register online, see the PLANETWORK
website at www.planetworkers.org. Or contact PLANETWORK at 415-436-0123
(voicemail) or 415-621-7790 (fax). PLANETWORK is a project of Social and
Environmental Entrepreneurs (SEE), a California 501c3 non-profit organization.

For further information:
Cate Gable
for PLANETWORK
Axioun Communications International