nettime's attempted solidarity on Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:24:55 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Statement from Chelsea Manning

https://www.chelseamanning.org/featured/chelsea-manning-begins-hunger-strike-protest

    “I need help. I am not getting any. I have asked for help time and
time again for six years and through five separate confinement
locations. My request has only been ignored, delayed, mocked, given
trinkets and lip service by the prison, the military, and this
administration.”

    “I need help. I needed help earlier this year. I was driven to
suicide by the lack of care for my gender dysphoria that I have been
desperate for. I didn’t get any. I still haven’t gotten any.”

    “I needed help. Yet, instead I am now being punished for surviving
my attempt. When I was a child, my father would beat me repeatedly for
simply not being masculine enough. I was told to stop crying—to “suck it
up.” But, I couldn’t stop crying. The pain just got worse and worse.
Until finally, I just couldn’t take the pain anymore.”

    “I needed help, but no one came then. No one is coming now.”

    “Today, I have decided that I am no longer going to be bullied by
this prison—or by anyone within the U.S. government. I have asked for
nothing but the dignity and respect—that I once actually believed would
be provided for—afforded to any living human being.”

    “I do not believe that this should be dependent on any arbitrary
factors—whether you are cisgender or transgender; service member or
civilian, citizen or non-citizen. In response to virtually every
request, I have been granted limited, if any, dignity and respect—just
more pain and anguish.”

    “I am no longer asking. Now, I am demanding. As of 12:01 am Central
Daylight Time on September 9, 2016, and until I am given minimum
standards of dignity, respect, and humanity, I shall—refuse to
voluntarily cut or shorten my hair in any way; consume any food or drink
voluntarily, except for water and currently prescribed medications; and
comply with all rules, regulations, laws, and orders that are not
related to the two things I have mentioned.”

    “This is a peaceful act. I intend to keep it as peaceful and
non-violent, on my end, as possible. Any physical harm that should come
to me at the hands of military or civilian staff will be unnecessary and
vindictive. I will not physically resist or in any way harm another
person. I have also submitted a “do not resuscitate” letter that is
effective immediately. This shall include any attempts to forcibly cut
or shorten my hair or to forcibly feed me by any medical or
pseudo-medical means.”

    “Until I am shown dignity and respect as a human again, I shall
endure this pain before me. I am prepared for this mentally and
emotionally. I expect that this ordeal will last for a long time. Quite
possibly until my permanent incapacitation or death. I am ready for this.”

    “I need help. Please, give me help.”