David Garcia on Mon, 8 Apr 2019 17:00:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Not Brexit

Appologies to Morlock who rightly berated those of us obsessed with arcane
and ridiculous parliamentary shenanigans of a small or medium size country of
diminishing relevance. So yes I do struggle to understand my own obsession.
Except to say that it is the most fantastic and excuisite mess.  Or to put it another
way its a genuine ‘event’, one those moments when a system reveals itself
BECAUSE it has gone so spectacularly awry. The moment the result of the referendum
came in it was immediately clear that there was now a BEFORE and an AFTER and
that the Brexit event would in future years appear to create its own precursors. Thats
why if you live here its like staring at the Sun and proably as dangerous.

———————————————

Heiko

It is my understanding that without MEPs sitting in Parliament we are from an
institutional point of view OUT. That is why May is fighting so hard to avoid
participatingin these elections.

And make no mistake there is no stopping the clock on the European elections.

Revoke should be the very very last resort as it would be a very big slap in the face
for those who voted in good faith. But it should (like the ejector seat) remain an option
if it was clear that we were on the brink of crashing out.

The best outcome in my view is we press the pause button for at least a year.
And (dream scenario here) convene citizens forums focused on close examinations of
what the trade offs actually entail. This was very successful in the Irish abortion refferendum.

A talented leader could play the role of national explainer helping to candidly lay out the trade
offs and drawing the threads together rather than acting like an advocate for the status quo as
Cameron did allowing Leave to occupy the role of insurgents.

In this way Corbyn may been wise in what looks like fence sitting as it opens up the
possibility of him acting as honest broker in some future vote.. There is no simple way
out of the “mad riddle" of Brexit.

David Garcia