Wojciech S. Czarnecki on Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:24:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: 'Self-destruct' e-mail offers virtual privacy

[There is a difference, though, between this system and PGP. While PGP
secures the privacy of msg, the receiver of the encrypted msg, as the
holder of the key, can be forced, say through a court order, to decrypt
the msg. In case of this system, the key itself is being destroyed and the
msg cannot be opened anymore, not even by the receiver, not even if she
wanted (or had)  to. The question then is, as Roberto pointed out, if you
trust the company who runs the system.]

Ana Viseu wrote:
[on Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 08:30:47PM -0400]
(>) Owego dnia Ana Viseu napisał(a):
> I found this article to be interesting for it affects the nature and uses
> of communication via email.

Pity, I found this article a shiny example of 'snake-oil'.

Plaintext messages can be captured and stored everywhere on theirs
way. And even behind this way.

> Currently, even if both sender and recipient delete a message, copies
> remain on computers they can't get to.

  If they both were use PGP, no one would ever get into these, even stored,
  copies of messages.

  PGP is avaliable FREE for noncommercial use. Also PGP means: NO THIRD PARTY
  need to be 'notified across the Net', NO THIRD PARTY is to assign 'secret'
  numbers nor keys. NO THIRD PARTY to keep eye on your e-mail traffic.

  If you will use 2048 bit rsa keys with your PGP, you're certain, that
  content of your encrypted e-mails remain safe for at least next
  hundred years.

  http://www.pgpi.com

> Says Feldman, "Disappearing Inc. is going to be a great boon to companies
> trying to reduce their (legal) exposure."

  In most countries destroing financial documents is a crime.
  Keeping them secret isn't though.

Regards, Ohir.