Patrice Riemens on 5 Apr 2001 15:06:07 -0000

[Nettime-nl] Re: [Hal-tap] Dutch wiretapping specification

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 02:21:56PM +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> As far as I know, only requesting the specifications was limited to Opta
> members, but distribution is legal. It has to be, it's part of the law
> ("Telecommunicatiewet"), and surely we have a right to know the law.

I am no techie, but I feel prompted to give some historical (histerical?)
parallel here...

2500 years ago, the populace ('plebs') in Rome made a hell of a fuss with
one simple demand to the aristocracy (the senate): that laws these
gentlemen felt like edicting would be *written down* and hence available
to all. This became an entrenched right and the fundament of what we know
as 'the rule of law'.

Presently, you see developments on all sides (not only in the awovedly
highly expert field of ITC) which purport to make rules and regulations,
and especially their specs, opaque, secret, and closed to public purview,
as for instance, a host of new arrangements beein cooked up in Brussels
kitchen on European security, administration, finances, (external)
policies and you name it.

Plus ca change...?
Or is it time for change?