dan_arenzon on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:50:40 +0100

Syndicate: syndicate of net artists

There isnt such a thing as a net-artist, or digital artist
there are artists that work through digital means
so they find the same problems traditional art faces in our societies
and have always faced for a long time

The web offers a different posssibility, the artie-fartie burocracy can
now be avoided  (as we are doing right now) in a way all of us can
afford

1-In southamerica, with almost no consumers on electronic art and
culture, we get sponsored by official cultural institutions (claiming
were so modern,todays reality,blablabla)
2-In europe (deep or shallow), the states,canada youve got a market that
needs tech-art and theres where you get the money -companies need you-
(theses are the facts with which we are dealing today)

>From my humble point of view, what syndicalists should avoid, is
re-creating
a digital version of our decadent analogic cultural institutions, but
instead stress to extend this new media possibilities as far and openly
as we can

excuse me for repeating something we all know: computers have changed
our communication and creation means, but also our needs, and purposes

I might be mistaken but, in between lines, i fear the establishment of
an electronic body, not different from what is already out there, and
has proved useless and old

WHAT? you want a solution?
I dont have it, but we could/should/might find it if we work together
cause we need it

dan