honor on Thu, 22 Oct 1998 05:22:48 +0100

Syndicate: syndicate of net artists

dan / all of us,

>From my humble point of view, what syndicalists should avoid, is
>re-creating
>a digital version of our decadent analogic cultural institutions, but
>instead stress to extend this new media possibilities as far and openly
>as we can

hey thanks for this. i have been thinking a lot about that in recent months. i've been thinking how bizarre and anachronistic the notion of 'net.galleries' and 'museums on the web' are. i mean in a purely liminal zone, why is there the need to create the metaphor of an institution to contain art?

i quite like what rhizome are doing with their splash pages at the moment <http://www.rhizome.org>... for me this is a much more organic way of introducing net.art to an audience that may otherwise not have access (interest?) in this work. its like a very subtle form of infiltration.

this sense of infiltration, of creating doubt and constructing inroads into accepted ideas of the way things should be and *where* they should be, has, for me, always been one of net.art's greatest intrigues (its tendency to turn up randomly in the strangest of places, the generation of an uneasy space between hoax and fact). cornelia's sollfrank's FEMALE EXTENSION project for the EXTENSION web art competition, is one thing i am thinking of as i write this ....

>every organisation that looks at web work needs to address this
>issue.. the museums on the web show for xapmple.. waxed lyrical about how
>fabulous the works of net artists were and how using the same techniques
>would enhance general education and access for museums, however none of >the artists whose work was shown was paid as far as i know

yep melinda - this opens the proverbial can of worms. the shock of the view list <http://www.walkerart.org/salons/shockoftheview/> touched briefly upon these things a few days ago, trying to work out whether artists who exhibit in group shows on the net should be paid (!!). amanda mcdonald crowley (director of ANAT) responded with:

"My vote is that it is absolutely critical to pay artists for commissioning/ exhibiting their works in this way, and that they should have the right to also house it elsewhere - as long as the "commissioning" is credited?!"

unfortunately this position seems somewhat radical amongst the curatorial / arts institutional community around the world.

please, someone prove me wrong.

best

honor

======== : 61 8 82320142
randomness is less a question of pooling knowledge

======== : 61 8 82319037
than an accumulation of our uncertainties

======== : 15 kenton st, sa 5000, aus
nasty little constructs that we may or may not be susceptible to are

======== : honor@va.com.au
surrounded by an incredible network of lines

======== : http://www.radioqualia.va.com.au/