Richard Reekers on Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:54:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-nl] BUSH ANNOUNCES ART & TECHNOLOGY NEW ARTIST INITIATIVE

Nettime,

Onderstaand in de groep, hoewel ik niet weet waar het
vandaan komt en zelf kan ik het ook niet vinden (ziet er
trouwens wel statementerigs uit gezien de andere
pressreleases bijv.
(www.os.dhhs.gov/news/press/2001pres/20010725.html)

Heeft Bush een eigentijdse Kulturkammer opgericht? Leuk ding
om te volgen, het zijn de kleine dingen die het doen.

Met dank aan een medelijstlid, ere wie ere toekomt als het
wat blijkt te zijn.

Groet,

Richard

PRESIDENT BUSH ANNOUNCES EXECUTIVE ORDER
US DEPARTMENT OF ART & TECHNOLOGY
NEW ARTIST-BASED INITIATIVE

I take great joy in making this announcement. It's going to
be one of the most important initiatives that my
administration not only discusses, but implements.

This is a collection of some of the finest America has got
to offer -- artists who create with their hearts, and in
turn, have changed the communities in which they live for
the better. This is a great example of the strength and
diversity and compassion of our country.

This is a diverse group, but who share things in common.
They provide more than aesthetic appeal to the people of our
country. They touch and change hearts.  And for this,
America is deeply appreciative, particularly in these times
of crisis.

Everyone in this room knows firsthand that there are still
deep needs in society that are confronted by America's
artists who have brought technology into their work.
Problems like cyber-addiction and abandonment, pornographic
violence, mental illness, loss of identity through the
mediation of reality, and now, the threat of terrorist
activity across the heartland. We are called by conscience
to respond.

As I said in my inaugural address, compassion is the work of
a nation, not just a government. It is more than the calling
of politicians; it is the calling of artists.  It is artists
who turn mean streets into good neighborhoods. It is artists
who turn cold cities into real communities.

It is one of the great goals of my administration to
invigorate the spirit of involvement and cultural
engagement. We will encourage artist-based community
programs without changing their mission. We will help all in
their work to change hearts while keeping a commitment to
freedom of expression.

I approach this goal with some basic principles: Government
has important responsibilities to the social condition and
the spiritual growth of the individual. Yet when we see
social needs in America, my administration will look first
to artist-based programs, which have proven their power to
transform lives. When artists provide insight into the
cultural impact of emerging new technologies, we will
support them.

As long as there are cultural needs, artist-based
organizations should be able to compete for funding on an
equal basis, and in a manner that does not cause them to
sacrifice their mission. And we will make sure that help
goes to large organizations and to small ones as well. We
value large organizations with generations of experience. We
also value community artists, who have only the scars of
being on the wrong side of the digital divide.

Today I am turning these principles into a legislative
agenda.  I am sending to Congress a series of ideas and
proposals.  Today, in time of war, I want to raise the
priority and profile of these issues within my own
administration. I want to ensure that artists and
artist-based organizations will always have a place at the
table in our deliberations.

In a few moments, I will sign an executive order. This order
will create a new government agency, the United States
Department of Art and Technology. The Secretary of this
office will report directly to me and be charged with
important responsibilities.  He will oversee our initiatives
on this issue. He will make sure our government, where it
works with the arts, is fair and supportive. And he will
highlight artists who have engaged technology in their work
and are confronting issues critical to our understanding of
new technologies and their cultural implications as national
models so others can learn from them. For as British artist
Wyndham Lewis articulated  so well: "The artist is always
engaged in writing a detailed history of the future because
he is the only person aware of the nature of the present."

And now it is my honor to sign the executive order.
(Applause.)