Ed Phillips on Fri, 9 May 1997 00:18:49 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Tenure as Asbestos, colonizing the Avant-Garde

Nettime Assay #1: Composting, Colonizing, and Criticism

	After reading Mckenzie Wark's review of the October issue on the
Situationist movement, I went in search of the magazine. I finally
found it in a bookstore.  Instead of stealing it as Mckenzie
recommended, I  read it standing in the bookstore, downloaded it into
my brain inbetween glances at the influx of browsing half-customers on
random purchasing forays through the mall-bookstore stacks, all of us
dancing on the limen between buying and stealing.
	I was sufficiently interested in the subject to ignore the manic
movement, the floating world without inside our outside that some
might call postmodern: the constant flow of shoppers, the panoptic
vision of the ubiquitious surveillance cameras, the stares of the
employees and lower management, and the sounds emitted by seamlessly
rotating  stacks of cds.
	I was struck by how boring the issue was.  No wonder Mckenzie was so
disappointed.  The compost of an old radical movement was ready for
use as PHD fertilizer.  Neat and clean nerds were parsing up the
corpse of a recent guerilla art attack on sobriety and the "normal."
	My slightly different reaction (not disappointment), however, was the
sneaking suspicion that these would-be scholars, although "breaking
new ground" and colonizing the "altered," were not in any danger.
Even though Mckenzie warned that these scholars were in danger, they
are in no danger.  No matter that further downtown an avant-garde is
still wildly flourishing.  Our contemporary avant-garde is as far away
from our October "scholars" as late nineteenth century Paris.  The
distance and the chasm between the space of our avante-garde and the
advance guard of colonizing, straight scholars is as great in
four-dimensional cultural space-time as the more commonly represented
distance of a century.  I'll leave off conjecturing about what that
distance "is" for another post.  Let me just propose here that it
exists: a buffer, an asbestos, a handy side effect of the nominalism
and atomisation of an accelerated, advanced money economy.
	If , in this cultural space-time, the distance between the composting
of scholarship-criticism and the "oppositional" practices of radical
movements is the invariant it seems to be, if the Academy is alway
safe, then the most flamboyant and radical of academics and critics
are just so many advance scouts for the culture industry.  This
sneaking suspicion, which we'd like to not even give the dignity of
calling a thought because it follows us like an afterimage left on our
retinas as we move from one discrete domain to another, this suspicion
is so familiar and so oft repeated that it would not deserve mention
if we were not all frustrated rubes, dupes of the many ruses of the
"cultural logic of late capitalism." And it would not deserve mention
if the forms of this vicious logic did not forever take such
underhanded, ever new and twisting, turns. An image for this "cultural
logic:" Antonin Artaud's rubber band held at the throat and pulled
out-away from the tender wind pipe only to come thwacking back with
all the fury of a material existence.
	I  bring up the hackneyed "ruse of history" because I want to mention
T. J. Clark.  T. J. was one of the young radicals that Guy Debord
kicked out of the Situationist movement.  Mckenzie mentions him.
Kicked out of the avant-garde and into the Academy, T. J. has gone on
to write some of the most provocative Art History  of the 80's and
90's, provocative in a safe-for-scholars-and-Sotheby sort of way, but
at least provocative enough for him to pull out and away from most of
his colleagues. Watch for the returning thwack.  We can hear a dull
thud coming from October.
	This latest dupe of the "ruse" is quite a historian of the "cunning
of history" himself.  T.J. writes some cunning prose, but not cunning
enough to escape the logic of his "class" position as conference
circuit star and compost turner; Mckenzie called him a corpse fucker,
some would call him a leftist scholar.
	At a star turn he made, along with Baudrillard, at a conference in
Vancouver in September 1986 called "Hot Paint for Cold War," T. J.
prodded his colleagues and the assorted aspiring leagues of wannabes
with a story about cunning "cultural logic." The wearied
dissappointment in his voice was muted by the pleasant afterglow of
strolling around lovely Vancouver, a good night's rest in a fine
hotel, a nice restaurant. Not suffering too badly, no longer
scrambling like Guy and Co. to come up with enough money to stay fed
on the squatting fringe, T.J. was ready to prod and provoke. All the
cunning twists and tactical turns, the street ready adroitness of an
"actual" leftist movement were still in his limbs and gestures, and
his words and analyses, so much more daring and fearless than the
assembled gaggle of scholars who have known nothing but grant money
and class schedules, brought a frisson into the room
	T.J. stuck it to them.  Mentioning some Vogue photographs of fashion
models taken in front of Jackson Pollock paintings, Clark says that
"the Vogue photographs matter because they bring to mind the most
depressing of all suspicions we might have about modern art: the bad
dream of modernism, I shall call it.  The modernist exploration of the
Other to bourgeois experience--its dream of discovering the
'outside'--more and more seems a part of a general policing of spaces
hitherto useless, and therefore uncharted, but which capital now
thinks it can profit from and wants brought into the realm of
representation." Frisson.  "A kind of softening-up process: art
prepares the ground for the real, ruthless appropriation of all those
marginal and underdeveloped states which was to be effected, in the
end, by the central organs of bourgeois culture itself." Drum roll.
	What we might call the bad dream of postmodernism: criticism and
theory now prepare the ground.  It might be as depressing Clark says
it is if it weren't so obvious and so irrelevant.  So what if T.J. is
an advance scout for the culture industry, training his finest
students to be clever compost turners and the lesser lights to be
Sotheby's worker bees?  T.J. is not my quarry, this latest dupe of the
ruse, nor am I angry at October magazine.  I want to ask what the use
value might be of this latest example of "cultural logic."  What is
our particular, contemporary cultural moment; who and what is leftist
criticism today?
	Can a street savvy, squatting on the fringe, subsistence scrabbler,
net criticism return a favor or two to the upper-middle class, Lingua
Franca reading, University as Mall, contemporary leftist scholar?
T.J. has gone from one discrete domain to another and brought
something of use from the other side.  Can I reverse his trajectory?
In this post at least?
	In his Vancouver talk he said that the "search for an 'outside' of
bourgeois consciousness has sometimes gone hand in hand with an
immanent critique of established forms of representation, and has been
effective in a limited way."  Flash forward to the latest October.  No
immanent critique of established forms here; the journal is laid out
like a financial or a foreign policy quarterly, no squatting graphics,
no riotous typefaces, nor even odd sentences.  Solid, boring
tenure-seeking missile prose.  Cut and paste boilerplate to add to a
cv pumping list of publications, they'll call it cutting edge and
raise enough grant money to create a conference.
	Enough with October. If you want an interesting historical write-up
on the Situationists, a street-ready one, ask Mckenzie to write one.
And if you want a criticism that includes an innovation on and a
critique of established forms of discourse, don't look to your friends
in the tenured big house to do it for you, do it yourself.  They  are
in no danger, they are light years away, in a safely sealed if
cynically disappointed place.
	One more thing about T.J. which will lead into my next post: Mckenzie
mentioned that Clark wrote some interesting stuff on late nineteenth
century Paris and painting; he made his name as a writer, in fact,
from this work.  I think it would be worthwhile to reverse his
trajectory again and make a tour of his writing on Paris, taking note
of Benjamin's edgier forays into a history of Baudelaire and
Haussmann's Paris.  On Modernism and Scholarship, On Flatness and
Representation,  From Melancholy to Mania.

--another subsistence scrabbler on the squatting fringe.
---