martin hardie on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:34:34 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Google INC. vs Wisdomized Clouds

Matz
IK haven't got up to speed on all this conversation yet but just an initial
thought on this

again: is the product of google the contents (texts of the consumers)
or the informationsystem (code)?
you may say "the informationsystem is not just the code, it is the use
of it". mh, that is actually the use value n o t the surplus value.

I tend to think that the product of google come downs to simply being its
name or the google experience.

We buy the google experience and not yahoo or whatever ... the potential or
virtual source or pool of producing consumers is the same - us; our labour
as (e.g. the case of free software) is available to be package up and sent
back to us  bearing the google brand.

The point of exploitation is no longer the direct labour or the product of
that labour e.g. the copyright in something, but a brand, a trade mark, that
brings all the various bits together as one thing.

The texts and code  make this possible but they are not google's product -
theirs is a package or maybe better an experience or lifestyle  component.

Martin